Friday, July 6, 2012

Collection 3

Here it is Collection 3.... so that is two down and only 57 to go:(  

When I put it like that I am not sure when , or sometimes if, I will ever finish this.

At this stage it is still fun.. which explains why it is that I am still wide awake at this unearthly hour, almost 1am.  In this photo you can see how I filled out the edges along the top.  I had made those stripy sections ages ago for a lone star quilt... that's another story.  Anyway when I had finished all of the collections I didn't have enough time or ideas to make small filler blocks and then remembered I had these leftovers.  As you can see they are just perfect .

Well better hit the sack. 

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Why?

Friends have asked me why I made the hexagons so small.  Well there are several reasons for this
1. I am a scrooge economical and didn't want to waste too much fabric trying out my new idea.
2. I am a scrooge loathe to waste and wanted to use as much of the piece of paper as I could.  Six hexagons fitted comfortably onto an A4 sheet of paper.
3. I wanted a portable project.
4. The tin which I was given at the Sydney Scquilters retreat was only small and so the blocks couldn't be too big if they were going to fit.
5. I thought my first sample was so cute I decided to keep all of the blocks that size.
6. I was only going to make a few blocks for a wall hanging for the Sydney Quilt Show.

The next question was then why did I make such a large quilt.
1. One of my first few blocks had only seven pieces and I was told that they were too big to be really classed as miniatures so I decided to make a lap quilt.
2. After making a few, well ok after making many, I decided that there was no way either of my boys would want a quilt like this so I may as well make it a usable size so queen size it may as well be.
3. 300+ blocks later I calculated that I had made too many blocks for a queen sized quilt so may as well make it for our own bed.  We have a king size bed.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Before and After

 Here is a photo of one of the blocks which I decided to machine piece.  Doesn't that look cute?  If you look carefully at the autumn coloured piece of fabric near the bobbin you will see a pin .. this is a clover applique pin which is only tiny.

Also looking carefully you can see on the foundation paper the markings for three feathers.... they are also very cute.

And here you can see the finished block... a feathered star.  I couldn't resist trying it after seeing some unbelievable feathered stars made by Jane Gibson a couple of years ago at the Jamberoo retreat. 

If you blow up the picture until the outer edge of the hexagon, the outer edge of the border around the hexagon that is, is 2 1/4in you will be able to see the block full size.

For anyone curious about the numbers this block has 138 pieces.  It should have only been 134 but I had to add four extra strips on the edges as I made it a tiny bit too small.  btw there is another block with more pieces...it's cute too.